Sunday, July 16, 2006

Not a good weekend I'm afraid!!!

I'm in for a big winge... Sorry :(

Played netball yesterday... pause...pause...pause... (deep breaths, I'm so angry)

I'm sorry if anyone is an umpire out there... pause...pause...

We played a reallllly rough team, and I know in the past couple of weeks I've winged about roughness, but this team is not just rough, they are dangerous. We played them in the finals last year and there were punches!!! I-kid-you-not, today this one particular lady (GD) tried to take your legs out from under you, she has a gutter mouth, swore constantly...pause...pause

We had their umpire in the first quarter, within the first 3 minutes I was given a warning for pulling a ball in strongly as this bi&ch tried to smash it from my hands, I spun around to aim at goal and the GD was in my space, she got pulled for contact and then... pause...pause...
I got a warning!!! Can you believe it for being to rough and swinging around too fast. Anyhow, next quarter the other umpire saw how rough the GD was being to us and pulled her for everything, she started swearing and carrying on. She was given 7 warnings for rough play and swearing at players and the umpire, and then the WD 2 for swearing and from then on, it was umpire against umpire. We ended up losing by 7 goals, but I am so frustrated... It was piss$%ing down with rain... 9 degrees in Rutherglen. So my day hadn't started so good!! Then....

After drying off I went to the canteen to get a pie (Rutherglen Bakery is famous for award winning pies is my excuse) I ate it standing under the verander on account of the rain next to three Rutherglen supporters. They were carrying on... swearing at the umpire, our players etc because they were losing by 11 points and we had flooded their back line. They lost in the end so I whistled to congratulate my team. The look I got from these blokes was murder...
So...
I said "Do you have a problem?"
One bloke said "Stop being a smart ass!"
I said "I had to put up with your shit for the last 10 minutes, I think I can congratulate my team"
Then to my amazement this one short, fat, 40ish bloke said to me...
"You've probably slept with the whole fuc#*ng team anyway!!!" And then he walked away.
His two mates were still standing there, I said,
"Did you just hear that?" I was starting to shake,
They said "No" and walked away as well.
I just stood there for 5 minutes, shocked, I was shaking, I have never had anyone speak to me like that. Obviously he took his frustration out on me because his team lost, but his mates condoned his actions by not saying anything.

I went inside to the clubrooms and told a few people from my club what had happened and they were quite supportive, but I was still pretty angry. I asked our President if I could speak to the Rutherglen President. When I did he was very apologetic, but for some reason I got quite emotional and started crying.. (I felt like a dic*head) He made the short, fat, 40ish, drunk man come and apologize, he had no idea what he had said to me, but if did say what I heard his comment was,
"If I said that and you are that upset about it, you must have low self esteem!!!!"
...Like it was my fault. My friends told him to piss off, if that was his apology.
After that one of his mates who was standing next to me when it originally happened came up and apologized profusely saying,
"He does this every week" (Meaning inappropriate comments),
All I could say was
"You accept and condone his actions but not speaking up." It's like bullying, it just as bad to stand back and let it happen. Anyway apparently a lot of the Rutherglen supporters also said something to him as well, because they thought it was hugely inappropriate.
My BF was seething, he wouldn't speak to anyone... He was so angry.

So last night I didn't sleep so well. I'm so glad Sue did well in her competition, she sounds like she had a fabulous time and all that yummy food last night would've been so well deserved.

I'm sorry this was a big winge, hopefully now I've written it down, I can move on and stop stewing on the whole situation.

Have a great week everyone.
Kelly

5 comments:

Cat said...

Hi Kelly,

I'm a new blogger, but have enjoyed visiting your blog now & then. I also used to play netball, but these days I'm one of the mums on the sidelines of my son's soccer & daughter's aerobic comps. There certainly are plenty of foul mouthed parents / friends out there at these events and it really spoils what should be a positive experience. Hope you are feeling better - I would have been just as emotional - it is just shocking when others speak to you in such an awful manner.

Cate

Bec said...

Hi Kelly,

Gosh, that sounds like an awful experience!! You poor thing. I used to play netball many years ago and ended up taking up karate as it was less violent! Hang in there, you are a better person than those bozos. Don't worry about the pie, just think of it as your last few indulgences before the challenge.

Are you planning to start the challenge on a Monday 24th July? I would like to start on the Sat or Sun just so I finish on one of those days. Will have to see when I get my new program though.

As for the training diary, I got it from Rebel Sport. It was $25 and has a page for exercise and a page for diet at each opening. It is really good. I figure it is something else to keep me motivated.....

Chat soon
Rebecca :)

SeLiNa said...

WOW!!!!!!!! That sounds like a really shit day!! The biased umpiring and roughness in the game is bad enough - then what that loser said?!?!?
HOpe you're feeling better now though :) That should be enough to fire you up for the next game against them..yea?!?! lol
Ahh and dont worry bout the whinge, this is your spot to do and say what you like! :)
Enjoy the week ahead
xoxo

SeLiNa said...

WOW!!!!!!!! That sounds like a really shit day!! The biased umpiring and roughness in the game is bad enough - then what that loser said?!?!?
HOpe you're feeling better now though :) That should be enough to fire you up for the next game against them..yea?!?! lol
Ahh and dont worry bout the whinge, this is your spot to do and say what you like! :)
Enjoy the week ahead
xoxo

Miss Positive said...

God Kelly that is crap! I cant believe how some w@nkers carry on sometimes, you have every right to get upset, I would have been a blubbering mess! It puts such a negative slant on sports, when it should be a happy and competitive environment. I hope you've managed to put that d!*khead behind you, he's not worth the energy!!

Hilary xx